Eye conditions and driving

Skip to contents of guide

If you have a car or motorcycle licence

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

Eye conditions that affect one eye

You need to tell DVLA if you have any of the following (even if the condition is only in one eye):

  • Cranial nerve palsy (with double vision)
  • Cystic prolactinoma
  • Leber’s optic atrophy
  • Macroprolactinoma
  • Ocular myasthenia gravis (with double vision)
  • Ophthalmoploegia (with double vision)
  • Ptosis
  • Quadrantinopia
  • Stargadts (juvenile macular degeneration)
  • Toxoplasma retinitis (toxoplasmosis)

Eye conditions that affect both eyes

You must tell DVLA if you have any of the following if the condition affects both of your eyes (if you only have sight in one eye, you still need to tell DVLA):

  • Behçet’s disease
  • Best disease
  • Bilateral artery occlusion (retinal)
  • Blepharospasm
  • Branch retinal vein occlusion
  • Central vein occlusion
  • Choroidal infarction
  • Choroidal neovascular
  • Choroiditis
  • Chronic central serous retinopathy
  • Coats’ disease
  • Cogan’s dystrophy
  • Corneal degeneration
  • Cranial arteritis
  • Cranial nerve palsy (without double vision)
  • Detached retina
  • Diabetic retinopathy (with laser treatment)
  • Eye tumour
  • Fuchs’ dystrophy
  • Glaucoma
  • Herpes zoster ophthalmicus
  • Horner’s syndrome
  • Keratoconus
  • Macular cyst
  • Macular hole
  • Macular oedema
  • Melanoma (ocular)
  • Neovascularisation of the optic nerve head
  • Ocular albinism
  • Ocular histoplasmosis
  • Ocular myasthenia gravis (without double vision)
  • Ophthalmoploegia (without double vision)
  • Optic neuritis
  • Peripapillary nevus
  • Posner Schlossman syndrome
  • Reis Bucklers corneal dystrophy
  • Retinal artery thrombosis
  • Retinal occlusion (artery or vein)
  • Retinal tear or detachment
  • Retinal vein thrombosis
  • Retinoblastoma
  • Retinopathy (with laser treatment)
  • Retinopathy fibroplasia
  • Retinopathy of prematurity
  • Thyroid related orbitopathy
  • Vein occlusion
  • Vitreous haemorrhage

How to tell DVLA

You should report your eye condition online.

If you have a condition in one eye and another condition affecting your other eye, you need to fill in and send form V1 to DVLA. The address is on the form.

Report your condition online

You can also use form V1 if you cannot use the online service.

There are more conditions you need to report if you have a bus, coach or lorry licence.