You must change your vehicle tax if you make any changes to your vehicle that will affect the:

  • tax class (unless you are changing to a tax class exempt from vehicle tax)
  • engine size (cc)
  • fuel type
  • weight (goods vehicles only)
  • number of seats on a bus
  • use of the vehicle

Documents you need for the application

The documents you need depend on the type of vehicle.

Private or light goods vehicles

You need:

Lorries and buses

You need:

  • form V70 ‘Application to change vehicle tax’
  • registration certificate with any changes marked on it
  • valid test certificate (if needed)
  • plating certificate (if needed)
  • weight certificate (if needed)
  • certificate of initial fitness or certificate of conformity for the bus taxation class only (if needed) or their equivalent PSV401, PSV408, PDV500 or PSV506
  • a reduced pollution certificate (if needed)
  • extra payment for vehicle tax (if needed)
  • written evidence of changes for a decrease in engine size or change of fuel (eg new engine receipt or written evidence from the garage that made the change) and the £25 fee

In Northern Ireland you must also take an insurance certificate or cover note.

How to work out your extra vehicle tax payment

  1. Find out the new rate of vehicle tax.

  2. Work out the difference between the old and new rates of your current vehicle tax. For example, if the old rate is £100 and the new rate is £130 the difference is £30.

  3. Divide the difference by the period of your current tax. For example, £30 divided by 12 months is £2.50.

  4. Multiply this by the number of months left on the tax. For example, £2.50 multiplied by 4 months is £10.

  5. In this case you need to pay £10 extra tax.