Apply for this licence

Start now


You must have consent to carry out excavations in, or break up the surface of, a road in Northern Ireland.

How to apply

Download an application form from the NI Direct website or call Roads Service.

Roads Service
Telephone: 028 9025 3000
Find out about call charges

You must give the following information:

  • your details
  • agents’ details, if applicable
  • location of the works
  • brief details of proposed works
  • proposed start and finish dates
  • whether planning permission has been sought and the application number

You may also be required to supply a drawing of the proposed works.


Before the work begins you must pay the Department of Regional Development (DRD) a deposit as security for the carrying out and completion of the works. DRD will determine the amount to be paid.

The consent and deposit will be issued along with a Permanent Restoration Notice and, if necessary, a specification showing the required standard of the works. The deposit will be returned when the works have been completed and maintained for 6 months to the satisfaction of DRD.

You must also:

  • indemnify DRD against any third party claims which arise as a result of the works
  • provide adequate insurance cover
  • ensure the safety and control of all traffic during the works
  • contact all relevant service authorities and establish the position and depth of cables, watermains, pipes etc.

You are also liable for any damage caused to services.

Fines and penalties

You may be fined up to £1,000 if you carry out works without permission from DRD.