You may need to ask the Home Office to check an employee’s or potential employee’s immigration status if:
- they can’t show you their documents, eg they have an outstanding appeal or application with the Home Office
- they have an Application Registration Card
- they have a Certificate of Application
You should see if they can work legally in the UK before asking for a check.
Start now on the Home Office service
You’ll need to get the employee or potential employee’s permission to make the check.
You’ll need to provide the following information to request a check.
Your employee’s or potential employee’s:
- full name
- date of birth
- job title
- hours worked per week
- home address
- Home Office reference number or case ID (if they have either)
You need to see their original Application Registration Card or a Certificate of Application if this is what you’re checking.
You’ll also need to provide your:
- business name
- business type
- business contact information
You can be fined up to £20,000 for employing illegal workers.