You may need to ask the Home Office to check an employee’s or potential employee’s immigration status if:
- they can’t show you their documents, eg they have an outstanding appeal or application with the Home Office
- they have an Application Registration Card
- they have a Certificate of Application
You should see if they can work legally in the UK before asking for a check.
Start now on the Home Office service
Before you start
You’ll need to get the employee or potential employee’s permission to make the check.
You’ll need to provide the following information to request a check.
Your employee’s or potential employee’s:
- full name
- date of birth
- job title
- hours worked per week
- home address
- Home Office reference number or case ID (if they have either)
You need to see their original Application Registration Card or a Certificate of Application if this is what you’re checking.
You’ll also need to provide your:
- business name
- business type
- business contact information
You can be fined up to £20,000 for employing illegal workers.