UK residence for EU citizens

Registration certificate

You don’t need a registration certificate to confirm your residence status in the UK, unless you’re an extended family member of a ‘qualified’ person.

If you already have a registration certificate it won’t be valid after the UK leaves the EU.

A new scheme will be available for EU citizens and their families to apply to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU. 

Sign up for email updates to find out when you’ll be able to apply to stay in the UK under the new scheme and what steps you’ll need to take.

You’re a ‘qualified’ person

You’re usually qualified if you’re a citizen of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland and you’re one of the following:

  • working
  • studying
  • self-employed
  • self-sufficient
  • looking for work

You must provide proof that you’re qualified. Read the guidance notes with the form to check the supporting documents you need in your situation.

How to apply as a qualified person

You can apply for a registration certificate online.

You can’t use this service if you’re a student or self-sufficient person and you’re either:

  • reliant on a family member for financial support
  • financially responsible for any other family members

If you can’t apply online, you can either:

You can also add a close or extended family member to your application.

Get help using a computer to apply online

You can get help with:

  • accessing a computer or the internet
  • finding the right information on GOV.UK

You can’t get advice on:

  • which visa you should apply for
  • what information to put in your application
  • an application you’ve already made

Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges
Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944

Extended family members

Before the new scheme is in place, you’ll still need a registration certificate if you’re an extended family member of someone from the EEA or Switzerland.

Extended family members include the qualified person’s:

  • brother or sister
  • cousin
  • aunt or uncle
  • niece or nephew
  • relative from a different generation, such as a great-aunt, great-nephew or second cousin
  • relative by marriage
  • unmarried partner in a lasting relationship

An extended family member must also be one or more of the following:

  • dependent on the qualified person before coming to the UK - and will either continue to be dependent on them or live in the same house as them in the UK
  • living in the same house as the qualified person before coming to the UK - and will either continue to live with them or be dependent on them in the UK
  • cared for by the qualified person because they have a serious medical condition

Read the guidance for more detail about applying as an extended family member and who counts as a dependant.

How to apply as an extended family member

If the qualified person is applying online, they can add an extended family member to their application.

Download and fill in form (EFM) for an extended family member if the qualified person can’t apply online, or the family member is applying separately.

Send your completed form to the Home Office - the address is on the form.

You must include the supporting documents listed on the form and payment of £65 for each applicant.