Right to reside

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021. You and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ to continue living in the UK after June 2021. The scheme will open fully by March 2019.

You have a ‘right to reside’ in the UK if you’re a national of the UK, the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland.

If you’re from the EEA or Switzerland

You have a right to reside if you’re from the EEA or Switzerland and you’re either:

  • employed
  • self-employed
  • registered as a jobseeker

You need comprehensive medical insurance for yourself and your family if you’re not working or looking for work (for example you’re studying or able to support yourself).

You need a certificate to work in the UK if you’re from Croatia.

Family members

If you have the right to reside as an EEA national, your close relatives also have the right to reside. Close relatives are your:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • children
  • grandchildren under 21
  • dependent parents or grandparents

If you’re from outside the EEA

If you’re from outside the EEA and you are not a close relative of someone with the right to reside, you need a visa to stay in the UK.