1. Overview

To become a taxi or private hire driver in London you’ll need to apply to Transport for London (TfL) for the correct driving licence.

There are 2 types of driving licenses for taxi drivers:

  • the all London licence (known as a ‘green badge’) which allows you to work throughout London
  • the suburban licence (known as a ‘yellow badge’) which restricts you to working in the suburban areas of London

Private hire drivers will need to apply for a private hire driving licence.

Before applying for your driver’s licence, you’ll need to apply for an enhanced criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.