Apply for this licence

Start now on the Security Industry Authority (SIA) website


You need a door supervisor licence if your job involves guarding a licensed premises.

A licensed premises is any premises that is open to the public which sells alcohol or provides regulated entertainment.

You do not need a door supervisor licence if your job only involves the use of CCTV equipment.

To get a door supervisor licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • pass an identity check
  • pass a criminal record check
  • have a recognised door supervisor qualification

Qualifications in door supervision

Before you apply for your licence you must get a qualification in door supervision that is recognised by the Security Industry Authority (SIA).

To get a qualification in door supervision you must take 4 training modules and pass 3 exams. Your training will take at least 4 days.

The modules you must study are:

  • SIA’s ‘Common’ module
  • Door supervision module
  • Conflict management module
  • Physical intervention skills module

Integration with other licences

People who have a close protection licence can work as door supervisors.

People who have a door supervisor licence can work as security guards, CCTV operators, and keyholders.