What you can do

If you think you’ve been unfairly discriminated against you can:

  • complain directly to the person or organisation
  • use someone else to help you sort it out (called ‘mediation’ or ‘alternative dispute resolution’)
  • make a claim in a court or tribunal

Contact the Equality Advisory Support Service for help and advice.

Discrimination at work

Employees should talk to their employer first to try and sort out the problem informally. You may also want to read about workplace disputes.

If things cannot be sorted out informally, talk to Acas, Citizens Advice or a trade union representative.

You might be able to take a claim to an employment tribunal for discrimination.

Check if you can get legal aid to help with your legal costs if you think you’ve been discriminated against. You can get advice from Civil Legal Advice if you’re eligible.

Employers must follow the law on preventing discrimination at work.