The aim of this systematic review is to provide a synthesis of the empirical and qualitative evidence on the relationship between types of innovation (process and product innovation) and levels of employment; paying attention to skill levels, the level of aggregation/analysis, and gender. We map a narrative synthesis of the evidence from 53 qualitative studies with meta-analysis of effect-size estimates from 9 empirical studies. 53 per cent of the studies investigate the effects of innovation on employment in agriculture, whilst the remaining 47 per cent focus on manufacturing. The evidence base relates to the effects of innovation on employment in the short-to-medium term. The review is based on a peer-reviewed and pre-published protocol that specifies the methods for searching, screening and evaluating the existing literature; and for synthesizing the qualitative and empirical evidence from included studies.
Ugur, M.; Hawkes, D.; Mitra, A. What is the impact of higher rates of innovation (measured by faster TFP growth, product innovation, process innovation, and imports of technology) on employment in LICs? How does this vary by gender? EPPI-Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London, London, UK (2013) xvii + 167 pp.