Making payments

The order that you get for the employee will tell you whether you have to pay:

  • the magistrates’ court
  • the Centralised Attachment of Earnings Payments (CAPS) office

Tell your employee each time

You must tell your employee in writing about each deduction. Do this when you give them their payslip.

Paying the magistrates’ court

Send a cheque made payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’.

You can pay with a single cheque if you’re paying 2 or more orders issued by the same court.

Some courts let you pay by Bacs transfer. Contact the court for their account details if you want to pay this way.

When you send the payment, you must include a note of:

  • the employer name
  • the employee’s name
  • the case number from the order
  • how much money you’re sending

Paying the CAPS office

You can only pay by:

  • cheque
  • Bacs transfer

You cannot pay by standing order or Direct Debit.

Pay CAPS by cheque

Send a cheque made payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’ to CAPS.

PO Box 404

Pay CAPS by Bacs

You must register before you can pay by Bacs. Download and fill in the registration form and email it to

To make a Bacs payment, send:

The payment will be sent back if you do not fill in the schedule correctly. You can be fined if you do not send the schedule.

Contact CAPS about a payment

You need to give these details when you contact CAPS about a payment:

  • case number
  • your name (as stated on your bank statement)
  • your bank account number
  • your sort code
  • amount of payment

CAPS office
Bacs payments:
Other payments:
Telephone: 0300 123 1058
Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm
Find out about call charges