You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council.


You must have permission to discharge certain substances into a waterway or water contained in any underground strata in Northern Ireland.

You need permission for discharges of:

  • trade or sewage effluent
  • poisonous, noxious or polluting substance

This doesn’t apply to any discharge which is made from a vessel.

How to apply

Contact the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) for an application form.

Northern Ireland Environment Agency
0845 302 0008

The Department of the Environment (DOE) will notify the Foyle Fisheries Commission (for Londonderry areas) or the Fisheries Conservation Board for Northern Ireland where your consented discharge is located.

Your application may be referred to the Water Appeals Commission to conduct a public inquiry to discuss specific matters.

You may also have to advertise that you’ve made an application.


You must follow any additional conditions that DOE attach to your consent. These can be altered at any time.

Any consent may be revoked if there has been no discharge within 12 months.

You must contact DOE to change your consent. You also need to tell DOE if you intend to transfer the consent to someone else.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined up to £20,000 or imprisoned if you discharge any of the above materials without consent.