Complain about a further education college or apprenticeship

Tell your tutor, human resources team or line manager if you have a complaint - your organisation may be able to solve your problem informally.

There’s a different procedure for appealing exam results.

Make a formal complaint

You can make a formal complaint if you aren’t able to solve your issue informally, or don’t want to.

You must follow your organisation’s published complaints procedure.

If you don’t have the complaints procedure ask the human resources team or people manager at your organisation for a copy.

The complaints procedure should tell you:

  • what you need to send to make your complaint, for example a completed form or written evidence
  • where to send your complaint
  • how the organisation will treat your complaint, for example who will see it and possible outcomes
  • when you can expect a decision

If you’re unhappy with the outcome

You can complain to the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) about how your complaint was handled as long as your organisation is one of the following:

  • a further education college
  • an adult learning organisation that offers qualifications
  • a business running an apprenticeship scheme

There’s a different procedure if your complaint was with a sixth form college.

You must contact the ESFA within 3 months of getting a decision from your organisation.

Email or post your complaint to the ESFA complaints team.

ESFA complaints team

Complaints team
Education and Skills Funding Agency
Cheylesmore House
Quinton Road

ESFA will acknowledge your complaint within 5 days and will let you know what will happen next.

If you’re unhappy with the ESFA response

You can write to the complaints adjudicator to decide on your case if you’re unhappy with how the ESFA has dealt with your complaint.

Complaints adjudicator
Legal and information compliance
Education and Skills Funding Agency
Cheylesmore House
Quinton Road