You can complain about an insolvency practitioner’s unprofessional or unethical conduct to their authorising body. If you want to complain about how your case has been handled, contact the Insolvency Service.

Practitioner complaints

If you’re unhappy about the conduct of an insolvency practitioner in the UK, take it up with them in person or in writing.

If you’re not satisfied with their response, you can take your complaint to their authorising body. Get the authorising body’s details from the practitioner or by calling the Insolvency Enquiry Line.

The authorising body won’t be able to change a practitioner’s decision or get involved in your case.

Insolvency Enquiry Line
0845 602 9848
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Complaining about insolvency services in the UK

If you can’t resolve the complaint by talking to the person or department involved, you can make a formal complaint in writing or in an e-mail.

You’ll need to include:

  • your name and address
  • name of bankrupt, company or subject
  • court number or reference if known

Insolvency Service (England and Wales)

Complain through the Insolvency Service website.

Accountant in Bankruptcy (Scotland)

Complain to the operational policy and compliance team.

Accountant in Bankruptcy
0300 200 2600
Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm
Find out about call charges

Operational Policy and Compliance team
Accountant in Bankruptcy
1 Pennyburn Road
KA13 6SA

Northern Ireland Insolvency Service

Complain to the customer relations officer.

Northern Ireland Insolvency Service
028 9025 1441
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Customer relations officer
The Insolvency Service
Fermanagh House
Ormeau Avenue

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.