Sonoco Products Company / Weidenhammer Packaging Group merger inquiry
The CMA investigated the completed acquisition by Sonoco Products Company of Weidenhammer Packaging Group GmbH.
- Published on 12 February 2015, as required by Rule 7 of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Rules of Procedure for Merger, Market and Special Reference Groups. Any revisions made to the timetable will be published on this website.
|Phase 2 date||Action|
|13 July 2015||Statutory deadline|
|Early July 2015||Publish final report|
|Late-June 2015||Final deadline for all parties’ responses/submissions|
|June 2015||Consider possible remedies and response hearing(s) (if required)|
|Late May 2015||Notifying provisional findings and possible remedies (if required)|
|Mid-April 2015||Deadline for all parties’ responses/submissions required before provisional findings|
|Late March to April 2015||Main party hearing, verify information, consider provisional findings|
|Late February to early March 2015||Publish statement of issues|
|Late January to March 2015||Gather information, issue questionnaires, hear third parties|
|27 January 2015||Merger reference made|
- Final report (PDF,1.4 Mb) (3.7.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (PDF,1.7 Mb) (3.7.15)
- Press release: CMA confirms clearance of packaging merger (3.7.15)
29 May 2015: The CMA has provisionally cleared the completed acquisition by Sonoco Products Company of Weidenhammer Packaging Group.
- Provisional findings report (PDF,1.4 Mb) (2.6.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (PDF,1.9 Mb) (2.6.15)
- Summary of provisional findings (29.5.15)
- Notice of provisional findings (29.5.15)
- Press release: CMA provisionally clears packaging merger (29.5.15)
The publication of the evidence of any party on the CMA’s webpages does not indicate in any way endorsement by the CMA of the views expressed in the evidence or acceptance of that evidence. Publication in this way is designed to assist public understanding of the issues.
As part of its evidence-gathering process, the CMA is holding hearings with a range of industry customers and interested parties.
- CBT Packaging (2.6.15)
- Can Packaging (2.6.15)
- United Biscuits (15.5.15)
- Company X (1.5.15)
- Goldenfry Foods Limited (1.5.15)
- Huhtamaki (1.5.15)
- Japan Tobacco International (1.5.15)
- Mondelez (1.5.15)
- Multi Packaging Solutions (1.5.15)
- Nestlé (1.5.15)
- Premier Foods (1.5.15)
- Tata Global Beverages (1.5.15)
- Visican (1.5.15)
The CMA’s merger inquiry is independent and welcomes submissions from all interested parties.
- Sonoco (31.3.15)
Decision to appoint monitoring trustee
On 16 February 2015 the CMA directed Sonoco Products Company and Sonoco Holdings UK Limited to appoint a monitoring trustee.
- Notice of direction (17.3.15)
25 February 2015: The issues statement sets out the scope of the investigation. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
- Issues statement (25.2.15)
- News story: CMA publishes issues statement for Sonoco / Weidenhammer inquiry (25.2.15)
Inquiry group appointed
27 January 2015: The CMA has appointed the inquiry group.
Terms of reference
27 January 2015: The CMA has referred the completed acquisition by Sonoco of Weidenhammer for an in-depth phase 2 investigation.
- Terms of reference (27.1.15)
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|25 February 2015||Decision published|
|13 January 2015||Decision announced|
|13 November 2014||Launch of merger inquiry|
|10 November to 21 November 2014||Invitation to comment|
|5 November 2014||Initial enforcement order|
News story: CMA confirms investigation of food cans suppliers merger (27.1.15)
Reference decision (25.2.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
Press release: Food cans supplier merger may give rise to competition concerns (13.1.15)
Full text decision (25.2.15)
Launch of CMA merger inquiry
13 November 2014: The CMA announced the launch of its phase 1 investigation by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (13.11.14)
Initial enforcement order
5 November 2014: The CMA imposed an initial enforcement order on Sonoco pursuant to section 72(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002.
- Initial enforcement order (5.11.14)
Published: 5 January 2015
Updated: 3 July 2015
Opened: 6 November 2014
Closed: 3 July 2015
- Final report published.
- Full provisional findings report and hearing summaries published.
- Provisional findings published.
- Timetable updated.
- Hearing summary published.
- Hearing summaries published.
- Initial submission and derogations published.
- Notice of direction published.
- Issues statement and full text of the decision published.
- Administrative timetable added.
- Inquiry group appointed.
- Reference decision announced and terms of reference published.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- Derogation added.