The CMA examined the scope for increasing competition in passenger rail services in Great Britain.
|8 March 2016||Publication of final policy document|
|January 2016||Opportunity for further comment following ORR evaluation|
|Late December 2015/early January 2016||ORR to publish evaluation of the CMA’s options|
|16 October 2015||Consultation closes|
|17 July 2015||Interim findings for consultation published|
|22 January 2015||Project launched|
Final policy document
8 March 2016: The CMA has published its final policy document outlining how greater competition could benefit rail passengers on GB’s major intercity routes.
- Final policy document (8.3.16)
- Appendix (8.3.16)
- Press release: CMA signals route for greater rail competition (8.3.16)
Further consultation responses following the ORR’s impact assessment
On 31 December 2015, the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) published its impact assessment of the options for increasing competition between passenger rail operators that were set out in the CMA’s July 2015 discussion document. The CMA invited further comments on the four options in its discussion document in light of the impact assessment.
Responses to the CMA’s consultation, including comments received following on from the ORR’s impact assessment, can be found in the consultation responses document below.
- Consultation responses (8.3.16)
- Arriva (8.3.16)
- Department for Transport (8.3.16)
- FirstGroup (8.3.16)
- Network Rail (8.3.16)
- RDG (8.3.16)
- Stagecoach (8.3.16)
- Tony Lodge - Centre for Policy Studies (8.3.16)
- David Starkie - Case Associates (8.3.16)
Update - November 2015
25 November 2015: The ORR has commissioned an evaluation of the options for increasing competition between rail operators that were set out in the CMA’s July 2015 discussion document. The evaluation is expected to be published at the end of 2015 or in early January 2016.
The CMA will offer an opportunity for further comment on the 4 options in the discussion document, in light of the ORR’s evaluation work, before publishing our recommendations in March 2016.
Consultation on competition in passenger rail services
17 July 2015: The CMA has published a discussion document consulting on the possibilities for greater competition between train operators in GB’s passenger rail services.
- Consultation responses (8.3.16)
- Summary of discussion document (17.7.15)
- Competition in passenger rail services in Great Britain: discussion document (PDF, 2.44 Mb) (17.7.15)
- Appendices (17.7.15)
- Consultation on competition in passenger rail services in Great Britain discussion document (17.7.15)
- Econometric analysis of efficiency gains from on-rail competition: external research (17.7.15)
- Press release: CMA consults on possibilities for greater competition in passenger rail (17.7.15)
This project looks at whether increasing competition in passenger rail services could lead to better value for money and improve service quality. This is a policy project, and not a formal investigation or market study.
The CMA has jointly held round table meetings with the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) with open access rail operators and franchised train operating companies.
- News story: CMA to examine scope for greater rail competition for passengers (22.1.15)
James Lambert (email@example.com)
Published: 4 January 2016
Updated: 8 March 2016
Opened: 22 January 2015
Closed: 8 March 2016
- Final policy document and further responses to the ORR's impact assessment published.
- Update added.