The CMA investigated the anticipated acquisition by John Wood Group plc of Amec Foster Wheeler plc.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|12 September 2017||Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted|
|15 August 2017||Decision published|
|2 August 2017||Decision announced|
|12 June 2017||Launch of merger inquiry|
|11 to 25 May 2017||Invitation to comment|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
12 September 2017: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the anticipated acquisition by John Wood Group plc of Amec Foster Wheeler plc. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (14.9.17)
- Final undertakings (12.9.17)
- Press release: CMA accepts Wood Amec remedy proposals (12.9.17)
Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
18 August 2017: We are consulting on proposed undertakings in lieu (UILs) of a reference for the anticipated acquisition by John Wood Group plc of Amec Foster Wheeler plc.
CMA to consider undertakings offered
15 August 2017: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by John Wood Group plc and Amec Foster Wheeler plc, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the decision is available below.
- Decision that undertakings might be accepted (16.8.17)
- Press release: CMA considering oil and gas engineering services merger remedy (15.8.17)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
2 August 2017: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless the parties offer acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (15.8.17)
- Press release: Competition concerns for oil and gas engineering services merger (2.8.17)
Launch of merger inquiry
12 June 2017: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (12.6.17)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
11 May 2017: The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction, if carried into effect, will result in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Please send written representations about any competition or public interest to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 11 May 2017
Updated: 14 September 2017
Opened: 11 May 2017
Closed: 14 September 2017
- Undertakings in lieu acceptance decision published.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation launched.
- Decision that undertakings might be accepted published.
- CMA to consider undertakings announcement added and full text decision published.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- Launch of CMA merger inquiry.
- First published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Engineering