Heineken / Punch Taverns merger inquiry
The CMA is investigating the anticipated acquisition by Heineken UK Limited of Punch Taverns Holdco (A) Limited.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|13 June 2017||Decision announced|
|16 February to 2 March 2017||Invitation to comment|
|16 February 2017||Launch of merger inquiry|
Reference unless undertakings accepted
13 June 2017: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless the parties offer acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision will be available shortly.
- Press release: Heineken/Punch must resolve concerns over pub merger (13.6.17)
Notice of extension of the preliminary assessment period
- Notice of termination of extension (Heineken) (10.5.17)
- Notice of extension (Heineken) (19.4.17)
- Notice of termination of extension (Heineken) (24.3.17)
- Notice of termination of extension (Punch) (24.3.17)
- Notice of extension (Heineken) (20.2.17)
- Notice of extension (Punch Taverns) (20.2.17)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
16 February 2017: The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction, if carried into effect, will result in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
- News story: CMA investigates Heineken/Punch Taverns pubs acquisition (16.2.17)
Launch of merger inquiry
16 February 2017: The CMA has launched its phase 1 investigation following the European Commission’s decision to refer the case to the United Kingdom under Article 4(4) of the EC Merger Regulation.
Please send written representations about any competition issues to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 16 February 2017
Updated: 13 June 2017
Opened: 16 February 2017
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- Timetable updated and notice published.
- Notice of extension published.
- Timetable updated and notices published.
- Notices published and timetable updated.
- First published.