The CMA investigated the award of the South Western rail franchise to FirstGroup plc and MTR Corporation.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|18 August 2017||Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted|
|24 July 2017||Decision published|
|11 July 2017||Decision announced|
|5 to 19 May 2017||Invitation to comment|
|5 May 2017||Launch of merger inquiry|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
18 August 2017: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the acquisition of the South Western rail franchise by FirstGroup plc and MTR Corporation. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (24.8.17)
- Final undertakings (24.8.17)
- News story: CMA protects London–Exeter passengers with fare cap (18.8.17)
Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
24 July 2017: We are consulting on proposed undertakings in lieu of a reference for the acquisition of the South Western rail franchise by FirstGroup plc and MTR Corporation.
- Proposed undertakings (24.7.17)
- Notice of consultation (24.7.17)
- News story: Consultation on proposals to protect London to Exeter rail passengers (24.7.17)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
19 July 2017: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by FirstGroup and MTR, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the decision is available below.
- Decision that undertakings might be accepted (24.7.17)
- News story: CMA considers proposals to protect London to Exeter rail passengers (19.7.17)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
11 July 2017: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless the parties offer acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (24.7.17)
- Press release: London to Exeter rail passengers protected by CMA (11.7.17)
Invitation to comment: now closed
5 May 2017: The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction, if carried into effect, will result in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of merger inquiry
5 May 2017: The CMA has launched its phase 1 investigation following the European Commission’s decision to refer the case to the United Kingdom under Article 4(4) of the EC Merger Regulation.
Please send written representations about any competition or public interest concerns to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 5 May 2017
Updated: 24 August 2017
Opened: 5 May 2017
Closed: 24 August 2017
- Undertakings in lieu acceptance decision published.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted.
- Full text decision published, decision that undertakings might be accepted published, and undertakings in lieu of reference consultation launched.
- CMA to consider undertakings announcement added.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- First published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Transport