You may be able to claim for ‘subsidence’ (sinking) damage caused by coal mining, eg:

  • structural damage to your house, which can start with cracked plaster and sticking doors
  • ground collapse or other damage to your land

You may also be able to get compensation for what you spend on a surveyor if your claim is successful.

Call the Coal Authority’s emergency surface hazard hotline if you think the subsidence is a danger to people.

Surface hazard hotline
Telephone: 01623 646 333
24-hour service
Find out about call charges

How to claim

You can claim through your home insurance - they’ll contact the Coal Authority for you.

You can also claim directly from either the mining company responsible for the mine or the Coal Authority.

  1. Find out if the damage is due to coal mining - a chartered surveyor can do this for you.

  2. Order a coal mining report.

  3. Download and fill in a damage notice form.

  4. Send it to the address given for the company on your coal mining report, or to the Coal Authority if it isn’t a working mine.

Coal Authority public safety and subsidence helpline
Telephone: 0345 762 6848
Monday to Friday, 8:45am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

The Coal Authority
200 Lichfield Lane
NG18 4RG

What happens next

An engineer will inspect the damage.

If they agree with your claim, you’ll either get:

  • the damage fixed
  • compensation for the damage

How long it takes

You’ll usually get a decision on your claim within 90 days.

If you don’t agree with the decision

You can apply to the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators to review your claim if you don’t agree with the decision.

Apply under the Householder Arbitration Scheme if you’re the owner and claiming for a domestic property. It costs £96.

Otherwise apply under the General Arbitration Scheme.

Contact the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators to find out how to apply.

Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Telephone: 01522 820 215
Find out about call charges