You can apply for a Child Visitor visa if you want to come to the UK and:
- you’re under 18
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You can check the guide to processing times to see how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How long you can stay
You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months, or 12 months if you’re travelling with an academic visitor eg a teacher or researcher.
Long-term visit visa
You can also apply for a long-term visit visa if you can prove you need to make repeat visits over a longer period. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.
Your visa will only last up to 6 months past your 18th birthday - after that you’ll need to apply for a long-term visit visa as an adult.
A Child Visitor visa costs £83.
Long-term visit visa fees are:
- 1 year - £300
- 2 years - £300
- 5 years - £544
- 10 years - £737
What you can and can’t do
- stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months
- take a short course of study, for up to 6 months
- stay for as long as your visa lasts, even if you turn 18 during your visit
- get married or form a civil partnership
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately
- get private medical treatment
- get public funds