1. Overview

You can apply for a Child Visitor visa if you want to come to the UK and:

You can’t apply if you qualify for British citizenship - including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.

How long it will take

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You can check the guide to processing times to see how long getting a visa might take in your country.

How long you can stay

You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months, or 12 months if you’re travelling with an academic visitor eg a teacher or researcher.

Long-term visit visa

You can also apply for a long-term visit visa if you can prove you need to make repeat visits over a longer period. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.

Your visa will only last up to 6 months past your 18th birthday - after that you’ll need to apply for a long-term visit visa as an adult.


A Child Visitor visa costs £85.

Long-term visit visa fees are:

  • 1 year - £324
  • 2 years - £324
  • 5 years - £588
  • 10 years - £737

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months
  • take a short course of study, for up to 6 months
  • stay for as long as your visa lasts, even if you turn 18 during your visit

You can’t:

  • work
  • get married or form a civil partnership
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately
  • get private medical treatment
  • get public funds
  • study at a government-funded school (unless you’re coming to the UK as part of an exchange programme or educational visit)