Child student visa (Tier 4)


You must have:

  • an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
  • enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - this will vary depending on your circumstances

You should read the guidance for the full list of documents and how much money you’ll need according to your situation.

Your course

You can do a course that’s taught in line with:

You can also do a course that’s accepted as being at the same academic level by:

You can do a short course to prepare you for your main course, such as pre-sessional study.

You cannot do a foundation course that will prepare you for direct entry to a higher education institution.

Confirmation of acceptance for studies

Your education provider will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) once they’ve offered you a place on a course. You’ll need to enter this on your application.

Your CAS can cover both the pre-sessional course and your main course of study.

You must apply for your visa no later than 6 months after you’re sent the CAS.