Information on the benefits of exporting for UK companies and sources of advice, best practice and help.
Benefits of Export
Academic research confirms that exporting companies are more productive than non exporters. They achieve stronger financial performance and are more likely to stay in business.
Doing business overseas can lead directly to growth, improvements in efficiency levels and ideas for new products and services. Once a company has started to export to a new market this tends to increase confidence and ambition, leading to further growth.
Findings from recent surveys of UKTI trade clients show:
- 85% said exporting led to a ‘level of growth not otherwise possible’
- 87% said exporting had significantly improved their profile or credibility
- 78% said exporting had given them exposure to new ideas
- 73% said exporting had increased the commercial lifespan of products or services
Read UKTI’s publication Bringing home the benefits - how to grow through exporting
Information and help from government and other organisations
UK Trade & Investment (UKTI)
Exporters using UKTI’s help are around 50% more likely to report faster growth or exposure to new ideas.
Find out more about UKTI’s services for new and experienced exporters and view case studies of companies who have used UKTI support to export
Online trading support
Selling goods internationally online, including e-commerce, is a fast-growing and potentially very lucrative activity for UK exporters.
UKTI provides a range of support for online export through its existing service offering. Read more on ecommerce and the support available e-retail
The Overseas Business Networks initiative (OBNi)
The Overseas Business Networks initiative (OBNi) is a new source of support for British companies seeking to do business in 41 high-growth, difficult to access markets across the world. It provides a range of services that are complementary to those already provided by UK Trade and Investment.
It is being developed through a partnership between UKTI, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and the British Chambers of Commerce.
If you’re a UK business, OBNi can link your company to:
- market information on the Open to Export and Export Britain web sites.
- services, support and advice in 41 markets overseas
- intelligence on new business opportunities
- office space in British Business Centres in some countries, and
- a global British business network, operating at home and overseas.
UK Export Finance
UK Export Finance is the UK’s official export credit agency. It provides services such as:
- insuring UK exporters against non-payment;
- helping overseas buyers to purchase goods and/or services from UK exporters by guaranteeing bank loans to finance those purchases;
- sharing credit risks with banks
- insuring UK investors in overseas markets against political risks.
The amount and terms of support available depends on the risk involved.
Find out more about services and eligibility on the UK Export Finance website
The UK Trade Tariff The UK Trade Tariff gives free access to current trading information on taxes and levies, rebates, preferences, and restrictions all imports to, and exports from, the European Union.
Customs and Value Added Tax (VAT)
HMRC, in partnership with UKTI, have developed online training to guide exporters through the Customs and VAT process.
HMRC classifies the export of goods based on export destination. If the goods are being sent within the EU, they are classed as dispatches. If they are being sent outside the EU, they are known as exports.
Start the online training for:
The GREAT Business website
The GREAT Business site provides practical advice and video case studies on export
mentorsme.co.uk is a gateway to a national network of over 10,000 experienced mentors from a wide variety of business backgrounds. It offers - free and paid for mentoring.
Insitute for Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW) Business Advice Service
The ICAEW’s Business Advice Service offers an initial free discussion with an ICAEW Chartered Accountant.
Export for Prosperity
Export for Prosperity is a source of information on international trade for UK exporters, covering topics such as finance, insurance, IT and logistics