2. Declare bankruptcy

You have to ask (petition) the court if you want to be declared bankrupt. They will decide whether or not to allow it. If they do, they’ll issue a bankruptcy order against you. You’ll be officially bankrupt.

Check whether there are any other ways to deal with your debts before you decide to declare bankruptcy.


Download and fill in form 6.27 - ‘Debtor’s bankruptcy petition’ and form 6.28 - ‘Statement of affairs’.

Read the guidance for form 6.28.

The court usually needs 2 copies of each completed form.

For help filling in the forms, contact the Insolvency Enquiry Line.

Insolvency Enquiry Line
Telephone: 0300 678 0015
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Find out about call charges


The fees are:

  • £525 for managing your bankruptcy
  • £180 for court costs - you may not have to pay this if you’re on income support

You can pay using cash, postal orders or a solicitor’s cheque made payable to ‘Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service’.

The court won’t accept your petition unless the fees are paid. Citizens Advice can tell you about any charities in your area that can help pay the fees.

Find a bankruptcy court

Use the court finder to find your nearest bankruptcy court.

Not all courts deal with bankruptcy. Use the bankruptcy court nearest to where you live or trade (whichever is for the longest period in the last 6 months).