Cancel a bankruptcy

You can apply to cancel (‘annul’) your bankruptcy if:

  • the bankruptcy order should not have been made
  • all your debts and bankruptcy fees have been paid or secured (guaranteed) by a third party
  • you‘ve made an Individual Voluntary Arrangement with your creditors to pay all or part of your debts

If your circumstances change and you can pay off all your debts, then you must pay it through your official receiver or a solicitor.

This means you will not have to follow the bankruptcy restrictions.

How to apply

Download and fill in the application form.

Send or take your completed form to your nearest court that deals with bankruptcy.

You must tell the court if you want details of your bankruptcy removed from the Land Charges register.

You’ll be given a date for a court hearing of your application, which you must attend.

You’ll still need to attend your interview with the official receiver if you’ve been asked to.

If the court agrees with your application, they’ll make an annulment order which cancels your bankruptcy.

You can ask the official receiver to advertise your annulment order within 28 days of getting it. You cannot do this if your bankruptcy order has not been advertised yet.

Your annulment order will be advertised wherever your bankruptcy order was.