2. Applying for bankruptcy

You have to ask (‘petition’) the court if you want to be declared bankrupt. They will decide whether or not to allow it. If they do, they’ll issue a bankruptcy order against you. You’ll then be officially bankrupt.

Becoming bankrupt will have a serious effect on your life. There may be other ways to deal with your debts.


You need forms 6.27 and 6.28. The court needs the completed forms and usually 2 copies of each.

For help filling in the forms, contact the Insolvency Enquiry Line.

Insolvency Enquiry Line
Telephone: 0845 602 9848
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Find out about call charges


The fees are:

  • £525 for managing your bankruptcy
  • £175 for court costs, if you’re on income support you may not have to pay this - court staff can advise you

You can pay using cash, postal orders or a building society, bank or solicitor’s cheque made payable to Her Majesty’s Courts & Tribunal Service.

The court won’t accept your petition unless the fees are paid. Citizens Advice can tell you about any charities in your area that can help pay the fees.

Find a bankruptcy court

Use the court finder to find your nearest bankruptcy court.

Not all courts deal with bankruptcy and you must use the bankruptcy court nearest to where you live or trade (whichever is for the longest period in the last 6 months).

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.