You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council.


You need a licence from the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) to use automated grading equipment to classify bovine carcases at a slaughterhouse.

You can only apply if you’re the operator of the slaughterhouse.

Once granted you must:

  • identify the category of carcass
  • keep daily control reports on the functioning of the equipment - make sure you record any problems that you find and the actions taken to fix them