Apply for this licence

Start now on the Architects Registration Board website


Contact the Architects Registration Board to register as an architect working in the UK.


You can register if you have:

  • UK professional qualifications
  • EU professional qualifications

If you have qualifications from overseas including some EU and other non-recognised qualifications you must pass the Architects Registration Board’s own exam before registering.

Temporary register

If you’ll only be working as an architect on a temporary or occasional basis, you can apply to join the temporary register.

You’ll need to show proof that:

  • you’re an European Economic Area (EEA) national
  • you’re lawfully set up to practice in another European member state
  • you hold professional qualifications
  • you have 2 years’ professional experience in another EEA member state

How to register

To register online, visit the Architects Registration Board online application portal.

If you have queries about registering, contact the Architects Registration Board.

Architects Registration Board
Telephone: 020 7580 5861
Find out about call charges

Fines & penalties

You could be fined up to £2,500 per offence for using the name ‘architect’ without being registered. This includes using the letters of the professional bodies, eg Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) or Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS) after your name.