Documents you must provide

For each person on the application you’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport
  • 2 passport size colour photographs
  • one passport size colour photograph of your European Economic Area (EEA) national (or British citizen) sponsor
  • your EEA family member’s valid passport or national identity card
  • evidence of your relationship to your EEA family member - such as a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate, or proof that you’ve lived together for 2 years if you’re unmarried

You also need to provide proof of one of the following, depending on your eligibility:

  • that your EEA family member has a permanent right of residence
  • that your EEA family member is a ‘qualified person’
  • that you qualify because of a ‘retained right of residence’
  • that you qualify for a ‘Surinder Singh’ application

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

Read the guidance on the application form relevant to you, either:

Biometric information

You’ll be asked to provide your biometric information as part of your application.

You can do this at certain Post Office branches. It costs £19.20.

You’ll need to:

  • have a digital photo taken of your face
  • put your fingers on a glass screen to be scanned
  • give your signature

The process takes less than 5 minutes and does not involve any ink or mess.


Children under 16 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or someone over 18 who has legal responsibility for the child. If the responsible adult is not the parent or guardian, they must be named on the application form.

Children under 6 years old do not need to provide fingerprints but must have a digital photo taken of their face.

If you have a medical or physical condition

If you do not have any fingers or hands you’ll only need to have a digital photo taken of your face. It will be noted on your records that you’re physically unable to provide fingerprints.

If you or any dependants need any special arrangements to give your biometrics, include a letter from your doctor with your application. The letter must include the details of your condition and the special arrangements you need.