1. Overview

You may be able to apply for a residence card if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and you’re the family member, or extended family member, of an EEA national.

You don’t need to apply for a residence card as a family member but it can:

  • help you re-enter the country more quickly and easily if you travel abroad
  • show employers you’re allowed to work in the UK
  • help prove you qualify for certain benefits and services

You must apply for a residence card or have a valid EEA family permit if you’re an extended family member.

You should instead apply for a derivative right of residence card if you’re the carer of an EEA citizen, the carer’s child, or the child of a former EEA worker and currently in education.

How long it lasts for

A residence card can last up to 5 years.

After 5 years, you can apply for a permanent residence card.


It costs £65 for each person included in an application.