If you’re classed as a critical worker, for example you work in a hospital or as a carer, you can apply for a practical driving test for:

  • cars
  • motorcycles
  • lorries, buses and coaches
  • car and trailers
  • tractors and specialist vehicles

You must be ready to take your test at short notice when you apply.

You cannot use this service to apply for emergency compulsory basic training (CBT). CBT is a training course that’s provided by motorcycle training schools.

You cannot currently book a driving test if you’re not a critical worker. Driving tests have been suspended because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Start now on the emergency driving test application service

Before you start

You need your:

  • UK driving licence number
  • theory test pass certificate number (if you needed to pass one)

If you had a driving test that was cancelled because of coronavirus, you also need the test reference number.

You can check the cost of your driving test before you start.

You must have lived in England, Wales or Scotland for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day you take your test.

There’s a different service to book your driving test in Northern Ireland.

When you do not need a theory test

You must usually have passed your theory test before booking.

You do not need a theory test to book a:

  • test to upgrade from automatic to manual
  • test to progress through the motorcycle categories (progressive access)
  • lorry and trailer test
  • bus and trailer test
  • large lorry test, when you’ve got a medium lorry licence
  • large bus test, when you’ve got a medium bus licence

Help with your application

Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to get help applying for your test.

DVSA driving test booking support
Telephone: 0300 200 1122
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges