From Department of Agriculture and Rural Development


You must be either ‘approved’ or ‘registered’ by the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) if you operate a plant which generates, processes, stores or transports animal by-products.

Premises that handle animal by-products include:

  • rendering plants - these plants can take category 1, 2 or 3 animal by-products
  • handling and storage plants (previously known as intermediate plants)
  • incinerators
  • composting and anaerobic digestion (biogas) plants
  • petfood plants
  • technical plants

Once DARD receives your application they’ll contact you within 15 days to arrange a site visit. This is to inspect your premises so your application can be approved. If you meet the required conditions, you’ll receive a notice of approval within 10 working days.

Do not store, dispose of, use, handle or process animal by-products until your application has been granted.


Your premises must be properly maintained and follow any conditions of your licence approval and any EU regulations. The DARD website gives further information about animal by-products legislation.

How to apply

To find out whether you need to be ‘approved’ or ‘registered’, apply for an application form from DARD Veterinary Service.

DARD Veterinary Service
922 Dundonald House
Upper Newtownards Road

DARD application enquiries
028 9052 5228
Find out about call charges