You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council.


You must have a ‘nominated key holder’ the police can contact if an audible alarm goes off in an ‘alarm notification area’ and it doesn’t stop automatically.

How to register

Contact the council to register as a nominated key holder.


As a nominated key holder, you must:

  • be able to operate and silence the alarm
  • be contactable by telephone
  • have your own means of transport, if you cannot make the journey to the alarmed premises by foot within the time agreed with the council (usually 20 minutes)

You must tell the police within 24 hours if a new nominated key holder becomes responsible for the alarm.

You must tell the council within 28 days if you install an audible alarm.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you don’t follow your duties as a key holder. The amount depends on the council.