Appeal to the Upper Tribunal (Administrative Appeals Chamber)

Skip to contents of guide


You may be able to appeal to the Upper Tribunal (Administrative Appeals Chamber) if you think there was a legal mistake with a decision made against you by certain lower tribunals and organisations.

You might be able to appeal if your case was about:

  • social security or child support
  • war pensions and armed forces compensation
  • mental health
  • special education needs or disabilities
  • a dispute that was heard by the General Regulatory Chamber
  • a decision made by the Disclosure and Barring Service
  • a decision made by the Traffic Commissioner (or the Transport Regulation Unit in Northern Ireland)

There are also other cases that the tribunal deals with.

There’s a different process if your case is about criminal injuries compensation.

The tribunal is independent of government and will listen to both sides of the argument before making a decision.

You’ll need to apply to Northern Ireland commissioners if your case was heard in Northern Ireland and was about social security or war pensions.

Get help with your appeal

You can read more detail about the appeal process.

You may also be able to get free legal advice from Citizens Advice or help from Welfare Rights if you’re in Scotland.

Contact the tribunal

England and Wales
Telephone: 020 7071 5662
Fax: 0870 324 0028
Find out about call charges

Upper Tribunal (Administrative Appeals Chamber)
5th floor
7 Rolls Buildings
Fetter Lane

Telephone: 0131 271 4310
Fax: 0131 271 4398
Find out about call charges

Upper Tribunal (Administrative Appeals Chamber)
George House
126 George Street

Northern Ireland

Tribunal Hearing Centre
2nd floor
Royal Courts of Justice
Chichester Street

  1. Step 1 Find support and advice

  2. Step 2 Ask for mandatory reconsideration

    1. Ask for the benefits decision to be looked at again (mandatory reconsideration)

    You normally need to do this within one month of the date on your decision letter.

  3. Step 3 Appeal the decision to a tribunal

    If you’re unhappy with the decision after mandatory reconsideration, you can appeal it to a tribunal.

    1. Appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal
  4. Step 4 Ask for the tribunal's decision to be 'set aside' (cancelled)

    If you disagree with the decision, you can ask for it to be set aside (cancelled). The decision letter from the tribunal will tell you how to do this.

  5. or Appeal the tribunal's decision

    If you think the decision was wrong for a legal reason, you can appeal to the Upper Tribunal.

    1. You are currently viewing: Appeal to the Upper Tribunal (Administrative Appeals Chamber)