- Air Accidents Investigation Branch
- Date of occurrence:
- 16 April 2014
- Aircraft category:
- General aviation - fixed wing
- Report type:
- Bulletin - Correspondence investigation
- Aircraft type:
- Robin CEA DR400/120 Petit Prince
- Ross-on-Wye, approx 12 nm NW of Gloucestershire Airport
Engine failure due to lack of fuel, near Ross-on-Wye, 15 April 2014.
The aircraft had been airborne for about 10 minutes when the engine stopped and could not be restarted. A forced landing in a ploughed field was carried out but the aircraft was damaged when the nose landing gear collapsed. Upon examination, it was found that very little fuel remained in the tank and that the fuel quantity indication sender was defective. In addition, the metal strip used to dip the tank had the potential to give a false indication.
Date of occurrence: 16 April 2014