Advice and support

For advice or support, a young person can speak to a member of staff, for example:

  • their personal officer
  • a chaplain, social worker or teacher
  • a doctor, nurse or other health worker

The personal officer is the person in charge of the young person’s well-being.

Chaplains provide support to everyone, whatever their faith. A young person can ask to speak to a chaplain of their own faith if they want.

Support from the youth offending team

Someone from the local youth offending team will stay in contact with the young person while they’re in custody. The young person can get in touch with them whenever they need.

Friends and family

A young person will be able to contact their family regularly, and can arrange for them to visit.

Advocacy services

Young people can also speak to someone from an advocacy service.