• What happens to me if my child gets in trouble with the police

    Parents can get in trouble with the law if their child gets arrested - find out about parenting programmes, Parenting Contracts and Parenting Orders

  • What happens if a child under 10 breaks the law?

    Children under 10 who break the law can be given a Local Child Curfew, a Child Safety Order or can be taken into care

  • Young people in custody

    Young people under 18 who are sent to custody are treated very differently from adults - they are sent to a special secure centre for young people, not an adult prison

  • Youth crime prevention programmes

    Youth crime prevention programmes - how young people are put on a programme, what they're like, mentoring and involving parents and families.

  • Youth offending teams

    Youth offending teams work with young people that get into trouble with the law, are arrested, or taken to court, and help them stay away from crime.

  • Alcohol and young people - the law

    It's illegal to buy alcohol if you're under 18 and you can be stopped, fined or arrested by the police for drinking in public

  • What is the age of criminal responsibility?

    The age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales is 10 years old. Children are treated differently from adults, are dealt with by youth courts and sent to special secure centres for young people.