Get help

For questions about the specific terms of your workplace pension scheme, talk to your pension provider or your employer.

You can get free, impartial information about your workplace pension options from:

You can get impartial advice about workplace pensions from an independent financial adviser. You’ll usually have to pay for the advice.

For general questions on workplace pensions contact the DWP Workplace Pension Information Line.

DWP Workplace Pension Information Line
Telephone (English): 0800 731 0372
Telephone (Welsh): 0800 731 0382
Textphone: 0800 731 0392
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Only use the information line if you’re a worker - employers should contact The Pensions Regulator.

Problems with being ‘automatically enrolled’

Contact the The Pensions Regulator if you have concerns about the way your employer is dealing with automatic enrolment.

The Pensions Advisory Service may also be able to help you.

If you’re already paying into a personal pension

Check whether it’s better for you to:

  • carry on with just your personal pension
  • stop paying into your personal pension and join your workplace pension
  • keep paying into both

If you’re saving large amounts in pensions

You may have to pay a tax charge if your total savings in workplace pensions and any other personal pension scheme go above your:

If you start taking your pension pot your annual allowance could drop to as low as £4,000.

If your pension scheme is closing

This can happen if your employer decides they do not want to use a scheme anymore or they can no longer pay their contributions. What happens to the money you paid in depends on the pension scheme you’ve joined.

If you’ve been automatically enrolled, your employer cannot close a pension scheme without automatically enrolling you into another one.

If you’re getting a divorce

You and your spouse or partner will have to tell the court the value of each of your pension pots. You then have different options to work out what happens to your pension when you get a divorce.