From Northern Ireland Environment Agency


Contact the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) to register as a waste carrier if you want to transport waste, or buy and sell it. You must also register if you arrange for waste to be transported, disposed of or recovered.

There is a different process for registering as a waste carrier in England, Scotland and Wales.

Transporting waste includes carrying any kind of waste, for example a customer’s old electrical fittings that you’ve replaced.

You do not need to register if you only:

  • transport your own household waste (not as part of a trade or business)
  • move waste around your own site
  • transport waste to or from the UK but not within it
  • are a ferry operator, and your ferry takes vehicles carrying waste
  • have a marine licence or marine licence exemption

How to apply

Send NIEA an application form to NIEA.

There are two registration tiers - which one you need depends on who you are.

Lower tier

You only need to apply for a lower tier registration if you are a:

  • charity or voluntary organisation
  • carrier, broker or dealer who only works with animal by-products, mining and quarry waste or waste from agricultural premises
  • waste collection, disposal or regulation authority

You do not need to register if you’re on this list but you only carry waste occasionally.

You do not have to pay a fee.

You’ll get a letter confirming your registration. Your registration does not need to be renewed.

Upper tier

If you are not on the lower tier list you must apply for an upper tier registration.

When you register, you’ll have to say if you:

  • transport waste (a carrier)
  • arrange for waste to be recovered or disposed of (a broker)
  • are both a carrier and a broker

You will have to pay a fee for upper tier registration and to renew an existing upper tier registration. You will also have to pay if you want to add another category to your registration later.

You get a certificate when you register.

Your registration will last for 3 years.

Producing your registration certificate

You must produce your registration certificate or card when asked.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined up to £5,000 if you carry waste but you are not registered.

You can be fined £300 if you have an upper tier registration but cannot show your registration certificate or card when asked.