Permanent residence after 5 years
You only need to apply for a permanent residence document if:
- you want to apply for British citizenship
- you want to sponsor your partner’s visa application under the Immigration Rules
Permanent residence documents will not be a valid proof of residence after 31 December 2020. You will still need to apply for ‘settled status’ to continue living in the UK after June 2021 even if you already have a permanent residence document.
Sign up for email updates to find out when you can apply for settled status.
Apply for a permanent residence document
You must provide proof that you’ve been a qualified person or the family member of a qualified person for 5 years.
You’re usually a qualified person if you’re a citizen of an EEA country or Switzerland and you’re one of the following:
- looking for work
Read the guidance notes to check the supporting documents you need in your situation.
You can apply online for a permanent residence document if you’re from the EEA or Switzerland. You can also add close or extended family members to your application.
You cannot apply online if you’re a student or self-sufficient person and you’re either:
- reliant on a family member for financial support
- financially responsible for any other family members
If you cannot apply online, download and fill in form EEA (PR). Send it to the address on the form - include the £65 fee and the supporting documents listed on the form.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- which visa you should apply for
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made
Using your document to apply for citizenship
You can only use your permanent residence document to apply for British citizenship after you’ve lived in the UK for 6 years.
That means you must wait another 12 months if you’ve only lived in the UK for 5 years when you get your document.
But you can apply immediately if:
- you’ve already lived in the UK for 6 years when you get your document
- your husband, wife or civil partner is a British citizen