Existing UK residence documents for EU citizens


You do not currently need to apply for a document to prove you can live in the UK unless:

  • you’re an extended family member of someone from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • you want to apply for British citizenship
  • you want to sponsor your partner’s visa application under the Immigration Rules

If you’re an EU citizen you and your family will need to apply for ‘settled status’ to continue living here after June 2021. You’ll need to have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021 to apply to the scheme when it opens.

You will still need to apply for settled status even if you have a registration certificate or permanent residence document.