Temporary Worker - International Agreement visa (Tier 5)

Switch to this visa

You can apply to switch into a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - International Agreement) visa while you are in the UK if you want to continue working for your current employer and you:

  • have a work permit
  • work for an overseas government or international organisation

You should apply before your current visa expires.

How long you can stay

You can stay for 2 years or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus up to 28 days, whichever is shorter.

How to switch your visa

You can apply online.


You can add dependants to your online application - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Biometric information

You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.

You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to extend your visa is successful.


Who you’re applying for Switch to this visa
You £244
If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia £189
All dependants £244 each

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How long it takes

A decision will be made within 8 weeks for online and postal applications.

You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:

  • if your supporting documents need to be verified
  • if you need to attend an interview
  • because of your personal circumstances, for example you have a criminal conviction

Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.