Temporary Worker - International Agreement visa (Tier 5)


You can apply for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - International Agreement) visa if you have:

  • a certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • £945 in savings - this is to prove you can support yourself and you must have had this in your bank account for 90 days before you apply

You will not need £945 in savings if your fully approved (‘A-rated’) sponsor has stated on your certificate of sponsorship that they’ll certify your maintenance and that you will not claim benefits during your stay.

Work covered by international law

Your work in the UK must be any of the following:

  • covered by the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
  • covered by similar agreements between the UK and other countries
  • for an overseas government or international organisation
  • as a private servant in a diplomatic household or in the household of an employee of an international organisation

Certificate of sponsorship

A certificate of sponsorship is a unique reference number that holds information about you and your job. It’s not an actual certificate or paper document.

Your sponsor will give you the certificate of sponsorship.

Your sponsor will also give you the information they used on your certificate about your job, your working hours for example.

Your sponsor must be recognised by the UK government to issue certificates of sponsorship.

Your certificate of sponsorship is valid for 3 months from the date it is assigned to you.

Multiple entry

Your sponsor can give you a multiple entry certificate of sponsorship so you can leave and return to the UK.