You can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa if you:
- want to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme
- have a sponsor
- are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- meet the other eligibility requirements
You must get sponsored - ie have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor - before you can apply to come to the UK to work.
Your work, training or research in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.
Your sponsor can be any of the following:
- an organisation running an approved exchange scheme
- a higher education institution (if you are a sponsored researcher, visiting academic or examiner)
- a government department or agency
How long it will take
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How much you pay for your visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply||Extend or switch by post||Extend or switch in person (premium service)|
|If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia||£180||£180||£555|
|Your partner or child under 18 applying at the same time as you||£200 each person||£150 each person||£525 each person|
|Your partner or child under 18 applying later, or child over 18||£200 each person||£200 each person||£575 each person|
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months (depending on the scheme you’re applying for) or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, whichever is shorter.
You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job.
What you can and can’t do
- work in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
- do a second job for up to 20 hours per week
- do a job on the Tier 2 shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week as well as your main job
- apply to change (‘switch’) into a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa if you’re in the government authorised exchange scheme for sponsored researchers
- bring family members with you
- take a permanent job
- get public funds