You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:
- have been offered a place on a course
- can speak, read, write and understand English
- have enough money to support yourself and and pay for your course - this will vary depending on your circumstances
- are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply (outside the UK)||Extend or switch by post in the UK||Extend or switch in person in the UK (premium service)|
|All dependants||£310 each person||£422 each person||£822 each person|
How long you can stay
You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:
- up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
- up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months
How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you’re doing and what study you’ve already completed.
What you can and can’t do
- work as a student union sabbatical officer
- apply from inside or outside the UK
- apply to extend your stay
- work - depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have
- get public funds
- work as professional sportsperson, including a sports coach
You may be able to bring in family members (dependants).
Read the full guidance to find out how long you might be able to stay and what you can and can’t do.