Investor visa (Tier 1)

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • a criminal record certificate from any country you have stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years

You need a blank page in your passport for your visa.

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Evidence of investment funds

You’ll need to provide evidence showing that you have the required investment funds.

Your own money

If you’re using your own money to invest, you should be able to show:

  • how much money you have and where it’s being held
  • where the money came from if you’ve had the money for less than 2 years, for example you inherited it from a relative
  • that the money can be transferred to the UK and converted to sterling (if it’s not already in the UK)

Your partner’s money

You’ll need to provide:

  • a certificate of marriage or civil partnership, or in the case of unmarried or same-sex relationships, proof that you are in a long-term relationship (at least 2 years)
  • a statement from your partner confirming that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK
  • a letter from a legal adviser stating that the declaration is valid

Read the guide for a list of documents you can provide.

Evidence you have a UK bank account

You must provide a letter to prove you have an account at a UK regulated bank to use for your investment funds. The letter must:

  • have been issued by an authorised official
  • be dated within 3 months of your application
  • be on the official headed paper of the bank
  • state your name and account number
  • confirm you’ve opened an account with the bank in order to invest £2,000,000
  • confirm the bank is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
  • confirm checks for money-laundering have been carried out

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.