You can apply for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa if:
- you want to set up or run a business in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You must have access to at least £50,000 investment funds to apply.
How long it takes to get a visa
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Example You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How much you pay for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa depends on your situation and where you apply from.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply (outside the UK)||Extend or switch (in the UK)|
|You (if you’re from Turkey or Macedonia)||£966||£1,222|
|All dependants||£1,021 each person||£1,277 each person|
If you’re applying to extend or switch in the UK
You’ll need to pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.
You may be able to apply for settlement (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) once you’ve been in the UK for 5 years.
What you can and cannot do
- set up or take over the running of one business or more
- work for your business, including being self-employed, but you should check your work meets the conditions of being self-employed
- bring family members with you
- do any work outside your business, for example work where you’re employed by another business
- get public funds