You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if:
- you want to invest £1,000,000 or more in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You must have access to at least £1,000,000 in investment funds to apply.
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How much you pay for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Apply||Extend or switch by post||Extend or switch in person (premium service)|
|If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia||£756||£946||£1,321|
|Your partner or child under 18 applying at the same time as you||£840 each person||£788 each person||£1,163 each person|
|Your partner or child under 18 applying later, or child over 18||£840 each person||£1,051 each person||£1,426 each person|
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.
You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.
What you can and can’t do
- invest £1,000,000 or more in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies
- work or study
- apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million
- apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million
- invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development
- work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
- get public funds
You also can’t work as a doctor or dentist in training unless one of the following applies:
- you have a bachelors level degree in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor license or is a UK recognised or listed body
- you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
- neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa