To get a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa, you need to be endorsed as a leader (exceptional talent) or emerging leader (exceptional promise) in one of the following:
- digital technology
- the arts
Read the eligibility and assessment criteria.
How to get endorsed
You can apply online.
If you’re a digital technology specialist you’ll also need to apply for a Tech Nation Visa Scheme endorsement.
How long it takes
You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.
You may get a faster decision if you’re a digital technology specialist and one of the following applies:
- you’ll work in, or set up a company in, certain cities in northern England
- you have certain technical or business skills
- you’re in a team of 5 or more people relocating to the UK
You may also get a faster decision if you either:
- hold an approved peer-reviewed fellowship
- are a senior academic or senior researcher at a UK university, college or research institute - check with your employer whether your role is eligible
Read the full guidance for more information about getting a faster decision.
What happens next
If you’re successful you’ll receive an email from the Home Office with a copy of your endorsement letter. You’ll need these for your visa application.
You won’t automatically get a visa if you’ve been endorsed. If your application is turned down you can request an endorsement review.
You must apply for your visa within 3 months of receiving your letter of endorsement from the Home Office.