Switch to this visa
You may be able to switch to a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You can apply to switch to this visa if you meet the eligibility requirements and you’re already in the UK under one of the following categories:
- Tier 1 (General)
- Tier 1 (Investor)
- Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur)
- Highly Skilled Migrant Programme
- Tier 2
- a visitor who has been carrying out permitted activities as a prospective entrepreneur
You can also switch from one of the following categories if you have specific types of funding:
- Tier 1 (General)
- Tier 4
You must leave the UK and make your application from abroad if you’re in another category.
You must meet the extension criteria, not the switching criteria, if you have had leave in this category in the 12 months before you apply.
How long you can stay
You can stay a maximum of 3 years after switching to a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.
How to apply to switch your visa
You should read the full guidance on the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa before you apply.
You must apply online.
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to switch your visa is successful.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made
How long it takes
A decision will be made on your application within 8 weeks.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer. This could be because:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- of your personal circumstances, for example you have a criminal conviction
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.